Take a Stand for Peace!

Join the largest U.S. veteran-led civil resistance to war December 16.

Rally at Lafayette Park, Washington, D.C., at 10 am
March to the White House for civil resistance action

Details of the action
Wednesday night
Thursday morning
Ride board
Media/Press

Call to Action:

Click on image for full 8.5x11 version

During the Vietnam War, Martin Luther King called our government “the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today.” True then—and even more so today.

A few years before that, in 1964 Mario Savio made his great speech at Berkeley; at the end he says, “There is a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part; you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you’ve got to make it stop. And you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all!”

There are children being orphaned, maimed or killed every day, in our name, with our tax dollars; there are soldiers and civilians dying or being maimed for life, in order to generate profits for the most odious imperialistic corporate war machine ever, again in our name. How long are we going to let this go on? Until it is too late, until this destructive machine destroys all of us and the planet to boot?

Wikileaks has revealed the documented horror of U.S. war-making, beyond what any of us imagined. It’s time veterans and others express our resistance directly and powerfully by putting ourselves on the line, once again—honestly, courageously and without one drop of apology for doing so. It is not we who are the murderers, torturers or pillagers of the earth.

Profit and power-hungry warmongers are destroying everything we hold dear and sacred.

In the early thirties, WW1 vets descended on Washington, D.C., to demand their promised bonuses, it being the depths of the Depression. General Douglas MacArthur and his sidekick Dwight Eisenhower disregarded President Herbert Hoover’s order and burned their encampment down and drove the vets out of town at bayonet point.

We are today’s bonus marchers, and we’re coming to claim our bonus–PEACE.

If we can gather enough courageous souls, nonviolently refusing to leave the White House, willing to be dragged away and arrested if necessary, we will send a message that will be seen worldwide. “End these wars – now!” We will carry forward a flame of resistance to the war machine that will not diminish as we effectively begin to place ourselves, as Mario Savio said, “upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus.” and we will make it stop.

We believe that the power of courageous, committed people is greater than that of corporate warmongers. But we will only see our power when we use it collectively, when we stand together.

With courage, persistence, boldness and numbers, we can eventually make this monstrous war machine grind to a halt, so that our children and all children everywhere can grow up in a peaceful world.

Join us at the White House on December 16th!

For a world in peace,

Nic Abramson, Veterans For Peace; Elliott Adams, Past President, Veterans For Peace; Laurie Arbeiter, Activist Response Team; Ken Ashe, Veterans For Peace; Ellen Barfield, Veterans For Peace; Brian Becker, National Coordinator, ANSWER Coalition; Medea Benjamin, Co-Founder, CODEPINK for Peace; Frida Berrigan, War Resisters League; Bruce Berry, Veterans For Peace; Leah Bolger, Veterans For Peace; Elaine Brower, Anti-war Military Mom and World Can’t Wait; Scott Camil, Veterans For Peace; Ross Caputi, Justice For Fallujah Project; Kim Carlyle, Veterans For Peace; Armen Chakerian, Coalition to Stop the $30 Billion to Israel; Matthis Chiroux, Iraq War Resister Veteran; Gerry Condon, Veterans For Peace; Will Covert, Veterans For Peace; Dave Culver, Veterans For Peace; Matt Daloisio, Witness Against Torture; Ellen Davidson, War Resisters League; Mike Ferner, President, Veterans For Peace; Nate Goldshlag, Veterans For Peace; Clare Hanrahan, War Crimes Times; Mike Hearington, Veterans For Peace; Mark Johnson, Executive Director. Fellowship of Reconciliation; Tarak Kauff, Veterans For Peace; Kathy Kelly, Voices For Creative Nonviolence; Sandy Kelson, Veterans For Peace; Ron Kovic, Vietnam War veteran and author of Born on the Fourth of July; Joel Kovel, Veterans For Peace; Erik Lobo, Veterans For Peace; Joe Lombardo, United National Antiwar Committee; Ken Mayers, Veterans For Peace; Nancy Munger, Co-President, Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom; Fred Nagel, Veterans For Peace; Pat O’Brien, Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom; Bill Perry, Vietnam Veterans Against the War; Vito Piccininno, Veterans For Peace; Mike Prysner, Co-Founder, March Forward; Ward Reilly, Veterans For Peace; Laura Roskos, Co-President, Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom; Cindy Sheehan, Founder, Peace of the Action; David Swanson, author; Debra Sweet, National Director, World Can’t Wait; Debbie Tolson, Veterans For Peace; Mike Tork, Veterans For Peace; Hart Viges, Iraq Veterans Against the War; Father Louie Vitale, SOA Watch; Jay Wenk, Veterans For Peace; Linda Wiener, Veterans For Peace; Diane Wilson, Veterans For Peace; Col. Ann Wright, Veterans For Peace; Doug Zachary, Veterans For Peace

This entry was posted in Mission Statement, Uncategorized, Upcoming Action. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Take a Stand for Peace!

1. david reese says:

Dear Organizers, I wished to contribute to this cause, but please note that your donate button is not active.

2. Hank says:

This will not work because the US supports endless Wars for Israel, it all started nearly a decade ago under a false flag attack.
    9/11 and Israel, here:
    America Deceived II (free preview)

• Leah Bolger says:

Hi Hank,
      The people organizing this action are opposed to the actions of the Israeli government against the Palestinian people as well. I would like to bring your attention to this paragraph from our call to action: Join activist veterans marching in solidarity to the White House, refusing to move, demanding the end of U.S. wars, which includes U.S. support—financial and tactical—for the Israeli war machine as well.

3. Dave Kane says:

What time is the rally at the White House on Dec 16th?

• Leah Bolger says:

The rally is scheduled to begin at 10:00 am. It will not be long–definitely less than an hour, and will be followed by our act of civil resistance.

4. Andrea says:

I think this is great. The Vets have the loudest voices when it comes to protesting the war. I feel positive, as long as we keep the pressure on and on until there is peace. We did it in the sixties and we can do it again. The masses can really scare the government. I really believe this. Way to go Veterans. I’m right behind you and will promise to do my part

• Leah Bolger says:

Thanks for your vote of support, Andrea! If you haven’t already done so, I urge you and everyone to register through this website so that we have your contact information and will be able to keep you up to date with the latest details.

5. Joe Potts says:

I want to do something , so bad. I am a broke Vietnam Veteran in not very good health that lives in northeast Texas and a long ways from DC. I hate what the US is doing in our name. I stay angry all the time because so many people have got their head stuck in the sand, and I feel so all along down here. I’ll see what my options are.

• Leah Bolger says:

Hi Joe, Even if you can’t make it to DC for his action, I hope you will consider joining Veterans For Peace. There is plenty of work to do in Texas as well! http://www.veteransforpeace.org.

• Joe Potts says:

Thanks for the infromation, I will join veterans for peace , I have wait till next month, I can’t afford the $40 fee to join this month.

• Leah Bolger says:

Hi Joe,
          Send in the application and your DD-214 and we can work out the dues with you to pay later or in installments. We want you first–the dues second :)

6. Berry Morgan says:

Can someone from stopthesewars.org contact me via email to discuss how to organize locally on this and other progressive issues?
    I cannot make the trip to DC, but I would like to organize locally and plan events for 2011.
    Thank you, and good luck to all DC participants.

• Leah Bolger says:

Hi Berry,
      Where do you live? Perhaps I can connect you with other activists in your area.

• Berry Morgan says:

Leah,
        Can you email me directly at firstname dot lastname at gmail dot com?
        Thanks!

• Kathy Murphy says:

I also cannot make the rally tomorrow but want to participate locally — tomorrow, if possible. I live in metropolitan Detroit. Do you know activists in my area? Thanks.

7. Paul Troyano says:

Pax Christi New Orleans would like to endorse this action. Thanks for your work.
    Paul

8. Hi Michael
    Just a suggestion, but would be very helpful, are you able to put share and tweet buttons on you article, it would make a lot easier for a seated techy protester like myself XD
    Love you loads Michael, keep up the good work, we are all in this fight for the one cause, ourselves!. More people need to realize this.
    I am currently investigating what happened to the DUKE family fortune, Diamond Cartel and the monarchy’s.
    http://mapper.nndb.com/maps/382/000011349/ This is where I’m up to so far.

9. The Northern California 9/11 Truth Alliance endorses this action and we hope to participate in the local solidarity action in San Francisco. Thank-you for all your efforts! If someone can give me an update, I’ll also mention what is happening on my radio show on December 16th on Progressive Radio Network. The show is Community Currency, 5-6 pm EST (Call me at 650-857-0927 before 5 pm). Thank-you again! Carol Brouillet http://www.communitycurrency.org (My first show was entitled- Questioning War-Organizing Resistance and I have worked with and been a member of VFP for years…)

10. michael handala says:

america is the greatest purveyor and exporter of violence and terrorism in the world today and its our responsibility to stop it. War will end when children refuse to join the military. John Kennedy; ” War will end when the conscience objector enjoys the same prestige as the warrior does today.” M. Gandhi : “Was not war a crime against God,against Humanity and so all those who participate,engineer,support war are they not war criminals.”

11. Monica says:

will there be follow up demonstrations of support for this action and those in jail? How do we find out about these?

Comments are closed.